Wednesday, January 13, 2016

We've Got Connections... Pippi Connections

0 Comments


Well, Chapter One of Pippi Longstocking started with a bang! We're enjoying this silly book already!


Neighbors?
Pets?
Friendship?
Pancakes?
Parents?
Monkeys wearing little hats?
Bedtime?

We can definitely relate to the characters and events in Pippi Longstocking! While reading we made a ton of connections. Check out our TEXT CONNECTIONS brainstorm from class today (click to enlarge)...


...and that's only Chapter One!



When we read we make connections to the setting, events, and characters.



Here are a few student connections to Chapter One: Pippi Moves into Villa Villekula

One of the connections I made is when Pippi wanted to make pancakes for Tommy and Annika. In the story it says, "She took three eggs and threw them up in the air. One fell down on her head and broke so that the yolk ran into her eyes, but the others  she caught skillfully in a bowl, where they smashed to pieces." This reminded me of the first time I tried to make eggs, it was really hard. This event also reminds me how much I like pancakes. - Melissa

A connection that I made with a character is Pippi's optimism.  I also like to think everything is going to work out in the end just like Pippi did with how she believes her dad would come back one day and was living on an island. I think she has a crazy idea about the island having cannibals and that doesn't seem very promising for her dad, but I think she is optimistic anyway.  
- Donovan

A connection that I made between Pippi and I is that we both would rather have caramel candy over cod liver oil. As it states on page 1, "No one to tell her to take cod liver oil, when she would much prefer caramel candy." We also both have longed for a horse. In the first paragraph of page 14 it says, "She had always longed for a horse, and now she has one, living on her front porch." Finally, we also both live in a very old house. In the first sentence of the whole book, it states, "In the garden, there was a very old house, and in that house lived Pippi Longstocking." - Lauren

One of the connections I made with the first chapter of Pippi Longstocking is about going to bed. On the first page it says "that was of course very nice because there was no one to tell her to go to bed just when she was having the most fun." The connection that I make with that is that my parents always tell me to go to bed right when I am having the most fun.  - Erik

Nice job kids!

I can't wait to hear what connections you make with Chapter Two!

0 comments:

Post a Comment